We are fortunate to have a great array of businesses and companies sharing their energy and resources to support Mittens for Detroit in many creative ways. Here are a few examples of ways in which you and your company can help provide new, warm mittens and gloves this year:
- Hold a Mitten-Raiser – Every winter we receive thousands of pairs of new mittens and gloves that come from employee collections at work. Whether it is a Community Collection box in the lunch room or “admission” to the company holiday party, the simple gift of a pair of mittens or gloves goes a long way!
- Teambuilding Event with The Big Sort – We rely on volunteers to help us to process the tens of thousands of pairs we receive. From October through February, we hold The Big Sort, which is a series of sorting parties at our office. Your team can come down to sort, count, and pack the pairs for pick-up by our Distribution Partners. We’ve had groups as small as 3… and as large as 20! It’s fun, relaxed, and a wonderful way to do some community service while working together outside of the office.
- Casual Day Collections – If your company holds Jeans Days or Casual Days as community fundraisers, please consider benefiting Mittens for Detroit this year. The nice thing about these dress-down days is that they occur throughout the year, rather than being tied to seasonal giving!
- Pot Lucks and Bake Sales – Who doesn’t love an opportunity to help a charity while enjoying some delicious food? Maybe hold a drawing for a pair of oven mitts! Why not whip up a few batches of mitten-shaped cookies?
- Matching Employee Donations & Volunteer Hours – You can double the impact of your employees’ generosity if you participate in matching their donations and volunteer hours. We are a 501(c)(3) donation, and we are registered with Benevity, Your Cause, Mighty Cause, and other platforms.
- Year-End Charitable Deductions – Because Mittens for Detroit can receive tax-deductible contributions, please consider including us in your year-end charitable giving.
- Mittens for Detroit is a Designations Eligible Partner with the United Way for Southeast Michigan. If your company support the UWSEM with employee donations, please recommend that MFD be considered for payroll deductions donated to UWSEM. Thanks!
- Please consider Mittens for Detroit as your Charity Partner for your golf outing, conference, or other public events.
- Knit Clubs & Upcycle Groups – If you have DIY folks at the office, a great project is handmade mittens. Whether knit, crochet, or upcycled from sweaters, handmade mittens are a luxury and a treat to those who receive them. Please visit our PATTERNS page.
If you have questions, please contact Wendy Shepherd, MFD Executive Director, Wendy@MittensForDetroit.org. Thank you!