We are fortunate to have so many businesses and companies share their energy and resources to support Mittens for Detroit in so many creative ways. Here are a few examples of ways in which you and your company can help provide new, warm mittens and gloves this year:
- Hold a Mitten-Raiser – Every winter we receive thousands of pairs of new mittens and gloves that come from employee collections at work. Whether it is a collection box in the lunch room or “admission” to the company holiday party, the simple gift of a pair of mittens or gloves goes a long way!
- Teambuilding Event with The Big Sort – We rely on volunteers to help us to process the tens of thousands of pairs we receive. From October through March, we hold The Big Sort, which is a series of sorting parties at our office. Your team can come down to sort, count, and pack the pairs for pick-up by our Partner Charities. We’ve had groups as small as 3… and as large as 25! It’s fun, it’s relaxed, and it is a wonderful way to do some community service while working together outside of the office.
- Casual Day Collections – If your company holds Jeans Days or Casual Days as community fundraisers, please consider benefiting Mittens for Detroit this year. The nice thing about these dress-down days is that they occur throughout the year, rather than being tied to seasonal giving!
- Pot Lucks and Bake Sales – Who doesn’t love an opportunity to help a charity while enjoying some delicious food? Maybe hold a raffle for a pair of oven mitts!
- Matching Employee Donations & Volunteer Hours – You can double the impact of your employees’ generosity if you participate in matching their donations and volunteer hours.
- Year-End Charitable Deductions – Because Mittens for Detroit can receive tax-deductible contributions, please consider including us in your year-end charitable giving. If you have questions, please contact Wendy Shepherd, MFD Executive Director, Wendy@MittensForDetroit.org. Thank you!
- Knit Clubs & Upcycle Groups – If you have DIY folks at the office, a great project is handmade mittens. Whether knit, crochet, or upcycled from sweaters, handmade mittens are a luxury and a treat to those who receive them. Please visit our PATTERNS page.